Friday, April 16, 2010

Carrot Cake Cups

I saw a recipe for mini carrot cake cups in a Pampered Chef cookbook. I thought that they looked wonderful, but was disappointed when I read through the recipe. Why does Pampered Chef always suggest that cooking can be made easier by using cake mixes and canned soups? Sometimes, that would be the best way to do things. But I felt like baking completely from scratch- so this is my attempt at creating my own version of the recipe. And I have to say- I'm pretty proud of them.

Carrot Cake Cups

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup grated carrots (about two medium carrots)
2 eggs
3/4 c. oil You might have to add more oil- this is the only part of the recipe that I'm stuck with! Just add more oil slowly after the 3/4 c. and when the batter looks all mixed up and wet (it will still be very thick) it should be fine.
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves

Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients. It will be very thick. More like a banana bread consistency than a cake mix consistency.

Spoon into greased mini muffin pans until 2/3 full. Do not overfill. Bake @ 350 degrees for approx. 11 min. or until tops are firm to touch. Once out of oven, use floured tart shaper* to push down cake cups. Let cool for 3 minutes in pan, then transfer from pan to cooling rack.

Filling-
8 oz. softened cream cheese
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream

Add powdered sugar to whipping cream. Beat until thick. Beat in cream cheese.

Fill either a pastry bag, or a Ziploc bag with filling (then cut corner off of Ziploc bag.)

Fill cups with filling and garnish with grated carrots and/or chopped walnuts.

Enjoy!

*Pampered Chef makes awesome kitchen gadgets, and I would recommend their tart shaper if you don't already have one.





1 comment:

Cait said...

Thank you for telling me about these Autumn! That was thoughtful. They look yummy and I'll definitely have to try baking them for him.

(By the way; I have some new fabric flowers cut out, and started the tutorial in Lebanon before realizing the needle I'd packed was too small for my embroidery floss. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it soon! I'm sorry it's taking so long.)